Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Can of Coke


My wife works until 11pm every night. Tonight I was home alone working on my Brief Calculus project. Throughout the evening I found myself craving the refreshing taste of a Coca Cola from the can. When Ashley got home I convinced her to come with me to the gas station to get said can of Coke. She agreed to come along.

As we were driving away from our rental home we realized we don't frequent any gas stations in the area. I remembered seeing a QT (Quik Trip) on the corner of Warner and Arizona Ave. in Chandler where we live. As we approached the convenience store we noticed a large crowd of people and many cars in the parking lot. As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed that the crowd was mostly African American with a few urban Latinos mixed in and some skanky white chicks here and there. We weren't quite sure what to make of it. These people appeared to be high school kids either on their way to, or coming from, a party that had most likely been broken up by the cops. There were four cop cars in the parking lot, so I parked the car as close to the entrance as possible and went into the store with my wife to obtain the coveted can of Coke. "What’s the worst that could happen?" I thought to myself. The cops were there and these were just high school kids, after all.

We bought our beverages and returned to our vehicle without incident. I heard raised voices from a group of African Americans that were standing around the empty parking space next to my car. I unlocked the car doors and we hurriedly got into the car. The moment I initiated the automatic locks, the raised voices erupted into a fist fight not more than 3 feet from where I sat in my car. I immediately started the car and backed out as fast as I could without hitting any of the people rushing to join the fight. As I looked over my shoulder I saw a cop quickly exit his vehicle and draw his night stick and run towards the raucous. I kept driving. By the time we pulled out of the parking lot ten cop cars had converged on the scene with lights flashing. Ashley and I had escaped unscathed. We were lucky. I learned a lesson in life worth starting a web log for.

I am ignorant and naïve.

I never should have turned into that parking lot. Having ascertained the situation before entering the store I should have driven away. I overestimated this crowd's sense of decency and rationality. Ashley heard what these young men were yelling about before the fight broke out. Apparently it was a territorial dispute, possibly gang related. What was I doing there?! Why did I bring my wife of four months there with me?! Anything could have happened. I guess I felt safe. I was not even a full mile from my seemingly safe neighborhood where I rent a two bedroom two bathroom house.

After we got home, Ashley and I discussed the recent events as I struggled to cope with the anxiety I felt. I grabbed the laptop and told my wife I was going to start a blog. This story needed to be told. I felt compelled to publish my ignorance and naïveté to the world wide audience of the interweb.

Click back again soon for more stories of ignorance and naïveté as they unfold.

10 comments:

  1. Cam. Love it. Especially your header pic. Classic. Of course, you realize that having a blog obligates you to read our blogs now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baaa!! I love it. I would have done the same thing. I think I am going to relate a little to well to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this in between church meetings. I snuck into ld's office as he told me you had started a blog. Love it. Now I can keep updated on how you are doing.
    You may be ignorant and naive but you are way ahead of most people as they are not so self-aware.
    The realization that we are ignorant is the beginning of wisdom:)
    Love you, Aunt Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah! You are taking Calculus?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camsies, you are quite a writer and a smart person at that. I am so thrilled that you have a blog and even more thrilled that you and Ashely are okay. Keep up the sharing of wisdom.
    P.S. Your dad wants me to ask how you both are doing in accounting?
    Much Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait--Candy, you have internet capability at church? What the what?? Is it wifi? I would totally lug my laptop to church if that were the case!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited for your blog! This is proof that I read it even after you told me the story over the phone. See you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool story hansel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coke from a can is very delicious, enough to risk your life for at midnight at QT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the same thing happen to me in Orem. I was at the gas station by HB's house and there was a turf war between several teenagers. One group was saying that the gas station belonged in the Vineyard 3rd Ward and the other said it belonged to the Geneva 1st Ward. It got really ugly. I was scared they might throw their "for the strength of youth" pamphlets at each other and I might get hit. It was over quickly, though, as someone suggested they do a car-wash at the gas station as a service project for Boy Scout camp. That cleared them out fast.

    ReplyDelete